A digital microscope is like a traditional light microscope only that now incorporates a docking and loading device in the camera that is used to view samples and specimens in a more spacious and comfortable way through a monitor or computer screen.
The digital microscope can generally be connected to a desktop or laptop computer, and even tablets, so you can see the images it produces and can save them to a hard drive-in case you want to see them again or if you keep a blog, in addition to that by appearing on a monitor several people can see a sample at the same time.
Through the use of a combination of technologies, a digital microscope plays a crucial role in scientific research, field and education, as other areas of design, management and even artistic are finding many uses for them.
Digital microscope is the commonly used term for low-priced, commercial microscopes designed for use on a computer, be it desktop or laptop. Although the term can also be used for more advanced systems that do not require computers but have higher prices like use Stereo Zoom microscope.
The digital microscope usually skips the optics to give way to the illumination, looking more like a type of cameras with a macro lens, allowing you to project the image to a computer and give them multiple and practical uses.
How does the Digital Microscope work?
The digital microscope was designed and manufactured on the same functional basis as light or optical microscopes.
Both its use and function is very simple since the sample is placed under the lens, in addition to the fact that a light source (LEDs) is generally used so that the sample gets enough illumination and is much easier to see.
The digital microscope has a button with which you can quickly take a video or photo of the sample or object. However, some have a slightly hard button which means that while you take the photo, pressing the button moves the image and comes out blurry, with this you have to be careful. Currently there are also others that by clicking with the computer mouse you can take photos and videos in a practical way and that is almost standardized.
Digital Microscope Features
We will then mention the characteristics of the digital microscope.
Among the wide variety of digital microscopes that there are, you can find many with different zooms, the quality of the image will depend on it and especially its magnification, the more zoom, the closer you can see tiny things. The different zooms range from 200X to 1000X, depending on the use that you are going to give it, it will be the most suitable microscope.
Here are more features of the digital microscope:
- The digital microscope is currently at an affordable cost.
- They have options to take photos and videos.
- It has zoom levels.
- It is easy to use.
- It is small
- It has the technology of a digital camera; the images and videos are of high quality and allows you to save and share them.
- You only have to connect it to the PC using a USB cable to make use of its functions. You can enlarge the images and send them with a simple click.
- It is also possible to produce a visual brochure of your images for further analysis.
- It has software that allows you to use the functions of the digital microscope.
- You can change the image format, using JPG, although there are some that use formats that are not regularly supported.
What is a Digital Microscope for?
- It is used in art galleries for the restoration of works.
- They are used by the textile industry to check and test the quality of fabric fibers.
- Scientists (entomologists, paleontologists, marine biologists, and others) use them in their laboratories and field investigations.
- It is used within engineering shops to examine tools and circuits.
- Used by horticulturists for the identification of insects and plant diseases.
- They are also used in pest control work.
- To check product quality.
- Employees for forensic analysis.
- Identification of false documents.
- Veterinarians use it to identify and remove such things as tiny ticks.
- In dermatological cases to identify skin problems.
- To carry out tattoo work.
- It is used by audiologists to examine the inner ear.
- Used by dentists to examine teeth.
Within the scientific research industry, many were found in the use of this type of microscopes over conventional microscopes, one of them is that the images can be saved or printed which allows a detailed examination.
In addition to the images seen through a digital microscope being displayed on a computer screen, they can make use of the web so that several people at the same time in different places can do their examinations at the same time.
Teachers also find its benefits within schools, since they during their classes connecting the microscope to a laptop that is in turn connected to a projector, thus allowing students to see what happens with the demonstration in the class saving the teacher time and the students allowing them to have a better appreciation without complications or accidents.