For people who want to get rid of skin issues and other diseases without feeling any pain, cryotherapy is making a name for itself in the field of medicine. With this medical approach, you can get rid of that annoying wart or get cured without undergoing surgeries.
What Is Cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy or cold therapy is a medical approach that uses frigid temperatures to cure specific skin issues and other diseases. Health professionals use liquid nitrogen or argon gas in the process. It is usually done without open surgery, so some prefer this to avoid scars and have a fast recovery. It also promotes a natural response that avoids inflammations, releases endorphins, and reduces pain and spasms.
It is still new, and little research is available to prove that cryotherapy is effective. Doctors are still looking through it to see its potential benefits and the risks of going through cryotherapy.
How Does Cryotherapy Work
Healthcare providers use liquid nitrogen, liquid nitrous oxide, or argon gas. They apply it to the abnormal tissues, and because cells can’t survive the severe cold, it dies after the treatment. The temperature is between -200 degrees to -300 degrees Fahrenheit, and you will be sitting in a cryotherapy booth for 3-5 minutes. Cryotherapy is a technique used for athletes and aesthetic purposes.
Abnormal tissues can form internally and externally, and cryotherapy can be the solution in getting rid of them. If the tissue is on your skin, doctors will apply a freezing agent to start the therapy. It will cause it to blister and peel off pain-free and begin to heal naturally. Treating conditions internally like cells or tumors needs a cryoprobe device that will be inserted through a small cut in the skin.
Three Types Of Cryotherapy
- Whole-body cryotherapy (WBC) – your body will be immersed in freezing air for 3-5 minutes. This is usually done with extensive equipment like a cryo-chamber or cryo sauna and needs professional assistance.
- Cold Water Immersion (CWI) – Common among athletes, they jump into a giant tub of ice water to decrease inflammation and fasten recovery time.
- Cold Therapy – This is done by directly putting ice packs, ice massage, coolant sprays on the part where you had a minor injury like bruising and other inflammation that doesn’t need intense care.
On the other hand, cryotherapy is also used in enhancing facial features called cryotherapy facial or CryToning Facials. The process only takes 10 minutes, where vaporized nitrogen is driven over the skin, specifically the face and neck. Unlike other facial procedures, it is more convenient, and it has better after effects.
The vapor works as a stimulant that will boost microcirculation in your face. It accelerates the production of collagen that tightens up the skin. The cold temperature causes the pores to close. After it goes back to normal, the blood vessels dilate and increase the blood flow on the face, making it glow and look more alive than ever.
Guidelines To Cryotherapy
There are always things that you need to consider and be aware of in any therapy. You don’t need to do anything special to your skin in cryotherapy. Here are some things to take note of before having cryotherapy:
- Avoid taking certain medications like aspirin and blood thinners.
- Don’t eat or drink too much before the procedure.
- Take someone to drive you home after the procedure.
- Suppose you are pregnant and have diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. In that case, cryotherapy is not for you to try, especially if you have heart disease.
- Wear dry and loose clothes during whole body cryotherapy. Wear socks and gloves to avoid frostbites.
Visiting your physician before undergoing cryotherapy is advised. Also, it is fatal to have cryotherapy longer than the recommended time, so be cautious. After sessions, your doctor will tell you whenever you need to come back to make sure things are going for the better. Some injuries need proper medication, and sometimes applying cold therapy alone may cause it to worsen. If you experience any sign of infection like redness, pus, and fever, immediately call your doctor.
Benefits Of Cryotherapy
There are benefits from just one session of cryotherapy, and if done regularly, you will see a lot of good changes. Those who have treated skin conditions don’t need any special aftercare. Those who had internal cryotherapy got to recover after just a few days.
To sum things up, here are the benefits of cryotherapy:
- Because of its cold temperature, it helps treat migraines by calming the nerves in the neck area.
- For athletes, cryotherapy has been their solution to injuries because it numbs the pain.
- During whole-body cryotherapy, your hormones can be affected too. The body releases adrenaline, noradrenaline, and endorphins which is a good thing for people experiencing mood disorders.
- It reduces arthritis pain, and they found it tolerable and effective.
- They target cryotherapy to be a cancer treatment. Freezing cancer cells is a way that can lower the risk of tumors.
- Theoretically, whole-body cryotherapy may prevent Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia because of the anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Skin diseases can be cured easily, like eczema.
- Cryotherapy facials stimulate collagen production, reduce fine facial lines and pores, and follicle growth on the scalp.
- Cryotherapy facials are affordable and fast and can be an alternative to other skincare treatments.
- Cryotherapy will not cause weight loss, but it can be a great start to the process because being cold makes the body warm itself more.
This treatment is still being studied, and so, it’s not the most perfect out there. More research is still being conducted to prove that cryotherapy may be the following solution to many health problems. The main idea of cryotherapy is to cure diseases pain-free. However, still, it is only an option, and consulting your doctor is advised. There may be complications such as bleeding and cramps around the cervix, bone fractures, nerve damage, and swelling when you undergo cryotherapy, but the possibility is low.